All the attention of the press over this past weekend has been focussed on the statements made by big names – Tory Cabinet ministers, the G20 and so on, about the impact of withdrawal. Meanwhile, behind the scenes, supporters of withdrawal have been active in spreading the message that withdrawal, far from being the “gamble of the century” as Mr Cameron would have us believe, would be immensely beneficial for our country.
We received an encouraging report from Josh O’Nyons, one of our leading activists in the West Midlands. His team set up a street stall in Knowle (which, for the benefit of anyone unfamiliar with the area, is situated a few miles south of Solihull) and the result of what Josh admits was “a highly unscientific straw poll of 112 people” produced a most encouraging result:
59 – Supporting Leave
24 – Supporting Remain
29 – Undecided.
New supporters and volunteers were recruited at the same time. Well done to Josh and team for a good morning’s work.
Letters to newspapers can also help in winning round undecided voters. We circulated a lettter written by our Chairman last week, which he is happy for people to use as a template. Another supporter spotted this excellent letter below in the Sheffield Telegraph and is also highly recommended as a model for anyone wanting to try their hand at writing to their local paper:-
After a fake EU “renegotiation” insincere ex Carlton Television PR man, David Cameron tries to fool us by manufacturing a non existent “victory” with his “reformed” Europe.Unfortunately, the Remain campaign and their leader, David Cameron won’t tell you these embarrassing facts: before Cameron’s EU “reform” there were around 23,000 EU legislative Acts applicable to Britain and after the “renegotiation” theatrics?… There will still be 23,000 EU Acts in place. Cameron got exactly what he asked the EU elites for – nothing!
It is perfectly possible to Leave the EU’s anti democratic and unaccountable political institutions and remain in the Single Market via an exit strategy of phased withdrawal using the established “Norway option”: See http://www.eureferendum.com/documents/flexcitlite.pdf
1. Invoke the Article 50 exit clause in the EU treaty, requiring the EU to negotiate a new relationship when Britain leaves political union.
2. Retain access to the Single Market which is larger than the EU and is covered by a separate treaty which Britain, like non EU Norway, is already signed up to thus ensuring no economic disruption and reducing EU contributions by up to £9 billion per annum.
3. Only 20% of the EU’s 23,000 Acts cover the Single Market, so the remaining 80% will be nationalised on EU exit then reviewed, amended or repealed as needed over future years with no impact on Single Market trade.
4. Instead of having a mere 1/28th of the EU’s one vote, Britain regains 100% of its own vote, voice and veto at the real “top tables”- the global regulatory bodies above the EU where the majority of global regulations come from and which the EU merely implements in the Single Market. Along with e.g. Norway and Canada, Britain will exercise exactly the same voting strength as the EU on the global bodies.
The alternative to independence is to remain in an unstable, undemocratic and declining political union with a failing currency and social unrest. It will be a sad day for this country if we do not vote to leave
John Wilkinson, Sheffield.
It has been apparent for some time that there is no silver bullet – no single event that is suddenly going to shift public opinion dramatically and irrevocably towards withdrawal. We are in a battle that requires large numbers of activists fighting on all fronts, including low profile activities such as street stalls, letter writing and blogging as well as more high-profile public meetings. As Josh’s campaigning and John Wilkinson’s letter show, ordinary people can play their part in slowly and surely turning round public opinion. Indeed, our role is essntial – even the most well informed pro-withdrawal politicians won’t win it by themselves. CIB has a number of leaflets in the pipeline, including a reprint of our popular “Five mistaken assumptions ” leaflet. We would also remind everyone of the launch of The Leave Alliance on Wednesday 16th March, which CIB supports and which we trust will prove an invaluable resource for “leave” campaigners.
In summary, there is everything to play for, but it will require a great deal of hard work, keeping up to date with the debate and a sound exit strategy if we are to counteract the lies and fear tactics emanating from the Prme Minister’s circle, but although we are clearly the underdogs, we can pull it off.